8.26.2008

Is competitiveness a flaw?


First of all, I just have to say that having your husband work from home is the best thing ever. I don't know what I'll do if Brian ever has to go back to an office. He doesn't have to leave early to beat the morning traffic, which means he has time to help the kids get ready for school, and at five 'o clock on the dot I just yell down the stairs that it's time to come home 'cause dinner is ready and mamma's hungry. Plus I have some freedom in the afternoon to run errands while Emi takes her nap. There is a yoga class at noon at the YMCA so I have been trying to make it to that at least a couple days a week. I LOVE yoga. Although I do miss my friend Nita's yoga class. The instructors here are way too in touch with their inner mother-earth. But did I tell you how much I love yoga?

The second thing I wanted to say was that I beat my goal! 47:32 was my time today. I don't know what my next goal is. Maybe 7 miles in 56 minutes? Train for a 1/2 iron man? We'll see. For now, i'm done with goals and training and I'm just going to the gym with no pressure.

Now I have to make a confession and you have to tell me if you think I'm unhealthy or if you think less of me. The only reason I even ran the 6 miles at my goal pace is because this girl got on the treadmill next to me and I could tell she was trying to race me. My sister learned a couple years ago when we did a 15K together that I can get a little competitive. ("See that girl in front of us? She's wearing makeup and earrings and has her hair done. We have to pass her. See that next girl in front of us? She's wearing a knee brace. We can't let an injured person beat us!.") My sweet and kind sister was totally shocked that I was actually saying these things out loud. Anyway, I already ran a grueling 4 mile hill-run at 5:30 this morning with my friend so my plan for today was to run another 4 miles, not six . But after this girl showed up, the competitive adrenaline kicked in and I decided I would just go for the whole six miles.

So I guess I should thank this girl for helping me reach my goal. I also have to thank the awesome musicians on my iPod. I couldn't have done it without The Killers, Chelo, U2's Where the Streets Have No Name and Sunday, Bloody Sunday, DMB, the boys of HSM2 who gave us I Don't Dance and Bet On Me, My Chemical Romance, and the Top Gun anthem always helps me with the last 1/2 mile push.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

And our neighbors ask why I don't run with her.

Alison Ward said...

You are crazy! Can you please just rub a tiny bit of that enthusiasm for exercise onto me through the internet? PLEASE?!?!

Mama C said...

Man I wish I could get excited about excercise like you. If I see someone running next to me I dont think of racing I think, you go girl I am going to go get a twinkie and watch some programs.

meegz said...

Nice work girlfriend! Just remember, everything in moderation. :)
That Top Gun Theme would get me through the last 1/2 too!:)

Stephanie said...

Mama C, I totally understand where you are coming from! ;) I don't think competitiveness is a flaw. I have to say being competitive has served me well. Look what it helped you accomplish! Way to go! you totally impress me. One day I am going to grow up and be like you! I do want to know, is Emi taking real naps or just homing her art skills more? :)

condiefamily said...

Ummm. Not crazy. I am the same way. Girls with hair/makeup and knee braces are just incentive- like carrots in front of a donkey.
As for the High School Musical fixation....Ummm. Crazy!

Mick and Tiff said...

Way to go!!! That is so cool and I don't think the competitiveness is a bad thing. I think that is GREAT!! I need something to drive me. I do have to say that my Day two of diet and excercise was a success. (Well, kind of)

Unknown said...

I am laughing out loud picturing you talking trash like that about people you don't even know in a race.

Rach said...

Hey Austin family!! I love your blog!! You are a crazy exerciser! I wish I was as motivated as you (remind me never to run next to you with a knee brace or jewelry). come visit our blog sometime it is sherwoodsforest.blogspot.com.

Christy said...

You are awesome!!! I have been trying to live a better/healthier life style but I have to drag my but out to WALK. And running, I left that ability in high school. I have how ever managed to loose 38 lbs. Yipee. Anyways I think competitive behavior is just fine as long and the lady with jewlery and knee brace didn't hear you.

;-)

Weavers said...

I think it's funny you called me your "sweet" sister. Maybe at the time I was pretending to be nice so I let those girls stay ahead of me, but really I was kick-butt tired. It's funny how different we are. When I feel the heat is on, I crumble. When I feel that nobody is watching and nobody could care less, I always get my best times. I wish I had a little more competitive edge in me. I think it shows confidence, and that's a good thing. I could use a little dose of that every now and again.

Weavers said...

I forgot to metion-you're CRAZY to have gotten your best time after already running hills that day!!!! Also, I need new running shoes, any ideas where I should go?!?

5Kgoatgirl said...

Hey Jamie you make me want to run on my off running day - which is every other day is my off day because I hurt myself trying to run 7 min miles in a 5K...
You are normal to me...because if I know you and you are faster than me I want to beat you. When I run I think about the time the person I know ran that was faster than my time and I work out thinking about it until I reach it. SOOO either you are normal or we are both crazy. I had a close friend wanting to run a 5K when I first started running again in my later years...the thought of beating her was always in my mind. I DON'T like to run together in races either - too much pressure worrying if the person will keep up with me or if I can keep up with them. I think we are crazy!

Ellie McFreaken said...

jaime you make me laugh! YOu are normal and I love you. I think I am like your sister a bit I crumble at the pressure and I wish I had a bit more competitve edge when ot comes to running etc.
Put me on a soccer field though and I will kick 'em in the shins...hmmmm is that healthy?

Katrina said...

I totally do that. Except when someone next to me is doing something too difficult for me, I make excuses like, "she probably doesn't have kids" or "well, she's got a perfectionist complex" or something really cool like that. Once I threw up while running at the gym because I couldn't be outdone. So I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Good job on breaking your time, btw! That's awesome.

Heather said...

Great job! Maybe that is all I need to listen to music like you and it will help me run like you. If it were just that easy. I do have to say the competitive stuff really does work. When I ran my "marathon" I didn't think that I would be able to run the whole thing at all and I did. You are not a crazy person!

Stacy and Mike said...

I love that side in you... It makes me laugh. LOVED talking to you yesterday, sure miss you. I am going to remember your trash talk when I start running.
Brian don't be a woss! You can handle a little trash talk!

Christina said...

Wow, Jamie. I think if I actually had some skills, I would be more competitive. As long I don't stand a chance, there is no reason to be competitive. You crack me up.

MAstle said...

Yeah, I bet I could beat your time with a bullet in my leg.