1.07.2009

Why I love the YMCA

I had to snap a pic of the website 'cause I think they're changing the website this month.

Many of you may remember how we were asked to have our pictures taken for a YMCA billboard. I guess they didn't want to use the members that look like Jillian Michaels or Bob Harper. They were looking for a "normal" family who comes to the Y together and observe them in their natural habitat. We were pretty shocked when we found out they also put our pictures in the local paper and on the YMCA website.

Regardless of how much I dislike the pictures (really, how can you look attractive running on a treadmill?) I have come to enjoy the Y for many reasons. Here are just a few:
  • Our kids really enjoy taking Karate at the Y, and the reasons why I love their Karate teacher could be an entire post in itself. Right before Easter, their Karate teacher asked what we were going to be celebrating, and after getting some blank stares, she talked to them about Jesus, his death, and the resurrection. (It is called the "Christian Association," after all.)
  • During a spinning class, an older couple who attends regularly told us that they just lost a newborn grandson. We were all heartbroken for this wonderful couple who we all love. The teacher stopped right there and we said a prayer.
  • A kid in our karate class made an ornament for each student that listed scriptures relating to the birth of Jesus. It just struck me that people in this area are not afraid to talk about religion.
  • One spinning teacher was able to collect $600 from his classes to help out a needy family for Christmas.
  • Besides all of that, they do a great job at entertaining the kids while I workout! It's so much more than just childcare.
I'm glad that the Y is a part of our community. So when people say to me, "Hey, didn't I see you on an add for the YMCA?" it's not something I'm ashamed of! (Well, except for that one picture they took of us on the stair climbers. Not pretty.)

8 comments:

Rach said...

Hey, can I have your autograph? =)

Mama C said...

That picture of you on the stairclimber is pretty. And you are a brat for looking so cute at the gym. I just look like I am about to have a heart attack.

Brownie Bites said...

Superstar family! Sounds like a perfect fit for you.

Tara said...

Wow! I know someone famous! I hope you'll still remember all the little people....

Cute photos!

Anonymous said...

You are famous!! Can I tell people we were once neighbors? :P

Sounds like a great place.

Stacy and Mike said...

Sounds like a great place!!!! I love the pics!

Sara said...

You just make me miss Virginia. Jackson tells me all the time he wishes we could move back to VA so we can go to the gym there. he said "I'm just not making any friends at gold's gym." I thought my YMCA was the best one ever, but it sounds like they're all pretty great. We actually opened all of our work meetings with a prayer. I thought that was pretty cool.

Tom and Misti Sherwood said...

That is awesome! I am sure that they noticed your family practically lives there. It sounds like a great place! I am glad that you are doing well. We miss you though...