11.04.2008

A different kind of election season for me


I hope everyone voted today! I went this afternoon and didn't even have to wait in line. It was great.

This is the first time I have lived outside of Utah during election season, and it has been pretty interesting. Colorado is considered a "swing" state so both presidential nominees have visited Colorado (even Colorado Springs) many times. I never went to listen to any of the speeches but I wish now that I had. We also get bombarded with fliers, phone calls (I had seven messages from the republican party just yesterday) and t.v. commercials. I also can't believe how many amendments we are voting on. In fact, one of the amendments is to increase the number of signatures needed before it can make it to the ballot so there won't be so many amendments! I tried to study up on all of the amendments and I decided most of them sounded pretty crazy so I hope they don't pass.

I am anxious for tonight to find out the results, and I am looking forward to all of the commercials going away!

My friend's husband put this on their blog and I found it very inspirational. So everybody go out and vote or the aliens win!

3 comments:

MAstle said...

Yeah, the candidates didn't campaign in Utah or California; everyone already knows how they'll vote. I'm glad the campaigning is over, but I kind of wish we had heard the candidates say more than they did in their canned debate presentations. Anyway, I voted this morning during a cold rain and was one of only three or four people there at that time.

Unknown said...

When I came home from voting, Caleb asked me if I voted for McCain or Obama. When I told him who, he asked, "did you wear a red shirt?" Kids are smarter than they (or their fathers) look.

Stacy and Mike said...

You don't have to agree with Obama politically to feel the excitement of Tuesday's historic milestone. I was very touched watching the first black president-elect address the country. It was moving. It was historic. And I was grateful for the proof that the American dream is real and truly available to all.

What a blessing to live in this great country. I (almost) got teared up while going to the elementary school where I was able to vote with no threat of violence. We are free to think and decide according to our own conscience.

Now I will just hope that our new president didn't really mean what he said during the campaign about shutting down the coal industry, taxing businesses, redistributing wealth and I hope he gets some more innovative ideas for our health care system.

I'm glad to be done with the election... as one of Mike's friends put it, "Our country is in the shitter ...Focus people!" Now we can focus on solutions instead of passing on rumors. Man I hope he brings about Positive change!
And God bless America!