11.12.2008

Sometimes you're better off not knowing....

I am a huge salad eater and I pride myself in my salad-making skills. It's an art. I have a few salad dressings that I love and I was very pleased to find a low-fat Caesar dressing that I think tastes just like the real stuff. It wasn't until the bottle was empty and I was taking it over to the trash that I saw one of the ingredients:
Anchovies? Yuck! Just the thought of having tinny little salty fish blended into my salad dressing makes me want to hurl. I wish I had seen that label before I ate the entire bottle!

There are other times, however, that I can see the warning label plain as day but I chose not to see it:
Yes, I know phenylalanine is poison. But it's poison that makes me happy.

And then there are signs that make me want to jump up and down and do the happy dance:
This was the first week I have ever filled up my car for $50. Let's hope gas prices stay this low through Christmas!!

p.s. Thanks for all of the book suggestions. I have four of the recommended books waiting for me at the library right now so I will be occupied for some time!

13 comments:

Lacey said...

I had no idea. I'm not a fish eater either. I don't think I can eat caesar salad ever again.

Rach said...

You crack me up!! And, I'm with you on the gas prices. I want to dance everytime I pull into Costco and the gas prices are lower than the last time I filled up.

MAstle said...

Are you sure phenylalanine is a poison? According to Wikipedia it's commonly found in breast milk and is sold as an analgesic and antidepressant nutritional supplement.

I haven't seen gas that low here yet, but Utah is months behind the rest of the country when prices go down. Cheapest I've seen is $2.08 on the west side of the valley. Near us it's around $2.25.

Christina said...

Jamie? You would rather eat poison than fish? Anchovies are always in "real" caesar salads. You crack me up. I am also so grateful for gas prices. 1.94 at Costco today! Yahoo!

Alison Ward said...

Too funny, I had that qualm about caesar dressing when I found that out. . . but it still tastes good, so whatcha gonna do. And I too poison myself every day, several times a day. It's a hard habit to break.

meegz said...

I'm gonna have to agree with the WHOLE darn post Jamie!!:) Take care.

Tom and Misti Sherwood said...

Tom broke the anchovy news to me a while ago about caesar salads. Once in a while I can taste it in my salad and it grosses me out.

I am a soda addict! It makes me very happy! Sometimes it doesn't even taste good and I just drink it because I feel better. I thought you quit Diet Coke?

I saw gas $1.99 yesterday in the Ranches(eagle mtn.)at Maverick. Tom says he doen't have guilt anymore about driving his truck around with gas prices so low.

Unknown said...

$1.93 up here in Thornton at the Diamond Shamrock today.

Anonymous said...

I love that the 1 in teh gas price is different! Like it has been ages since we have seen gas prices with a one in front of it. They used to have to so that for a 4!!

Weavers said...

This is why i like to eat baked goods like donuts, brownies, homemade cookies because there's no nutrition label. Food tastes soo much better without the nutrition label. Plus I'm a little suprised you didn't know that about ceasar dressing. That's what makes ceasar, that and raw eggs :)

Heather said...

I am with you on the Caesar dressing. I had no idea what goes in it. I just knew that I liked it a lot until now. Now I am either going to have to forget that I heard this or just not eat it anymore.

Stacy and Mike said...

I am cracking up that you loved it ....basically you love anchovies! :)
Call me I have a story for you!

5Kgoatgirl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.