10.31.2008

It's an evil, EVIL holiday

Ok, I don't actually think Halloween is evil, but dealing with all the candy the children have brought home has been a headache. Halloween started a week ago for us at the trunk-or-treat at our church. Ever since then, all Emi wants to eat for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner is candy. This morning I greeted Emi with a big "Happy Halloween! Do you know what this means?" and she said, "CANDY!" I laughed for a while at that one.

I guess I have never been a huge fan of Halloween. I love the Fall and Thanksgiving, but I'm not really into dressing up in weird costumes and begging for candy. Luckily our wonderful friends came up with the perfect solution...... get together for dinner and then have the husbands take the kids trick-or-treating while the women stay home and have some girl time. I thought it was a brilliant idea! Thanks Andrea for the fabulous evening!
The one thing I do enjoy about Halloween is seeing the kids get so into it. They were able to have a party at school and do the traditional parade around the halls. The costumes were easy this year because all 3 knew exactly what they wanted to be and C's was the only costume I had to buy.
And my solution to the candy problem? I told K and C to hide theirs in their room and most of Emi's is going in the trash. I'm hoping she won't notice...

This video shows how we ended our night. It also shows what I have been dealing with for the last week. Now that I think about it, maybe I DO think Halloween is evil!

12 comments:

Alison Ward said...

Gavin is EXACTLY the same way, I guess most kids are, but it seems at their age they just don't get it. Maci I can reason with, she'll eat just one or two, but Gavin keeps coming back for more, all day long, and gets so mad when I say no. I'm definitely hiding it :)

Stacy and Mike said...

I love their costumes. I can't believe you didn't dress up.
So we just watched the video of Emi and Keaton says...."I don't do that mom, when I ask for candy...how about you say YES"

So funny. Happy After Halloween with the candy wars.

5Kgoatgirl said...

That is a funny video!
Happy Day After Halloween.
PS you are lucky your school does not do a costume contest like ours. I miss the parading through the hauls.

Mama C said...

So I have been trying to figure out what to do with Griffen's candy because he doesn't really eat it but Eric and I do. so I have decided that I will be bringing to the YW activity this week. I believe in pawning evil things off on other people's kids. You should try it.

Christina said...

Yes, the amount candy is insane. I am constantly telling Samuel no. But I think I eat more of it than they do.

Mick and Tiff said...

That video had me cracking up! What funny little Emi. I agree all this candy is evil!! I am glad you had a great Halloween though. We did miss you this year.

Anonymous said...

You could just cut and paste Tiffany's face in place of Emi's. Good luck with the candy wars :)

Mel said...

We have way too much candy too. Take it to a local dentist and they will give you $1 a pound for it. It is not much but at least it is out of the house.

Heather said...

That is way too funny about Emi. Parker keeps asking for more so I feel like I have to keep sneaking pieces of his candy so it disappears fast and he can't eat as much. We did miss you guys this year and I can't believe you didn't want to dress up. You guys were so good dressing up last year.

Weavers said...

I can't believe you think this holiday is EVIL!!! I love halloween, I guess if I were more self controlled like you I'd hate it too b/c the candy would all go to waste...but candy shall never go to waste at my house!! I'll make sure of it. Yum Yum Yum!

Weavers said...

I think Amy has been on a ranch too long....I don't remember the last time anyone paraded through the hauls except in Arkansas..ha ha ha.

MAstle said...

Ha, ha, ha! We have plenty of candy leftover, Emi. Just come and get it. When I was waiting for surgery on Thursday, a long line of kids from McMillan Elementary paraded down the hall in great costumes to get candy from the nurses' station. I think they were a little creeped out by the people in the rooms dressed in backwards gowns and waving to them as they went by.