I finally got Edgar Sawtelle from the library. I was number 163 in line. I am nervous to read it though because sometimes Oprah chooses books that are just way too depressing and yucky. Has anybody read this book? If you have, do you think I should read it? Oprah made it sound like a feel-good book which is why I got it in the first place.
Also, I am always looking for book recommendations so send them my way!
13 comments:
I haven't read it yet becuase I was worried that it was going to be too depressing. I have been burned by Oprah in the past. so after you read it let me know if I should :)
I never really like Oprah books. The Thirteenth Tale is great, Year of Wonders is too, but my favorite right now is These is my Words. Do you know of some great Christmas book?
I don't have an opinion about Oprah books. I do about Oprah, but you don't want to hear it. I've been getting in to histories and biographies. I really liked "Undaunted Courage." I also highly recommend "John Adams," by David McCullough, and "Benjamin Franklin," by Walter Isaacson. If you haven't read "1776," by McCullough, you need to. I'm just starting a book Chieko got at Costco on Abraham Lincoln as commander in chief during the Civil War. I forgot the exact title. I also want to read "Warlord: A Life of Winston Churchill at War," by Carlo D'este.
I am not a big fan of her at all and so therefore refuse to read her books. I read once a long time ago and hated it so much I actually didn't even finish it. Hey if you waited that long to get it from the library than you should at least give it a try! Let us know how it is!
I think I'm down to 269 in line from the library, so I've not read it yet. I read the first chapter on her website and liked it. I wish you luck. Please post a review when you finish!
Recommendations: Fablehaven series,
I second the recommendation for These Is My Words- awesome book. I'm reading The Book Thief right now and it's great. The Other Boleyn Girl is fabulous, and it's nice and long. It does have some sex in it, but you can skip over those parts if you want. Or not. :-)
My new favorite book right now is Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. It's not depressing but I did cry my eyes out.
I just got back from book group where we read Goose Girl. It is a fun light read. I don't think there was anyone in the group that didn't enjoy it.
Let me know if its good. Our book club is reading the Christmas Carol this month.
I actually saw a great book that she picked for her club. It's called "A Million Little Fibers" by Steven McTowelie. You oughta check it out.
I just read an autobiography by Jeannette Walls called The Glass Castle. It was a very good, quick read about how her life growing up was not the best, but she and her siblings turned out great. I really enjoyed it.
Being between books, I picked up an old one I read about 10 years ago called "Lies My Teacher Told Me Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong." It's a great read that discusses non-PC or popular topics that schools typically gloss over or leave out so that they don't offend anyone.
I don't know anything about this book, sorry. I saw the comment you left on my site about taking pictures. I would love to do that, and I would do it for free (seriously it gives me practice). As long as you know going in that I am not a professional. Do you have a location in mind? We'll have to hurry because I think we are running out of warm days to take pictures outside.
If I read anything, I may have insight. Unfortunately, I do not read anything that is not commanded to read.
jt
Post a Comment