4.02.2008

I survived the 80s


I must be experiencing nostalgia for those good old movies from the 80s. Since Kali joined Caleb in taking Karate, I thought I would share with them two of my favorite movies from my childhood – the Karate Kid 1 and 2 (number 3 is not worth watching). Being a kind and thoughtful mom, off to Blockbuster I went. Kali was at home yesterday recovering from surgery and Brian took the day off, so we decided to make it a family event and watch both movies. About halfway through the first movie, Brian and I gave each other the “what are we doing to the children?” look. We certainly did not remember all of the cussing that came out of that adorable Daniel-san’s mouth. Then we gave each other the “what do we do now?” look, and Brian quickly said, “well, I grew up with these movies and I turned out all-right.” He did have a point. I mean, if we didn’t remember all of the swearing, our kids won’t either, right? So like any good parent would do, we continued our family time and finished both movies.

A few months ago I also went through the same experience with Goonies, another favorite from my childhood. I was absolutely shocked by the language coming out of the kid’s mouths, not to mention an incident with a broken statue.

This whole experience has made me very grateful for the Disney channel. My kids can watch High School Musical instead of Greese, and I am confident that I don’t have to worry about Gabriella becoming pregnant. I am thankful for Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers who give my kids wholesome music to listen to. The lyrics that come out of most radio stations are shocking, even to me. (Which is saying something. Let’s just say that Kali is not allowed to borrow my ipod)

I know I am rambling here, but I’m just trying to figure out where to draw the parental boundaries. Although I want to protect my kids from all of the filth out there, I was just reminded yesterday that I was exposed to plenty of filth in the 80s and I turned out pretty darn okay.

7 comments:

Brownie Bites said...

Those are some of my all-time, growing-up favorites as well. I agree, finding the right boundary is hard. I guess you might as well know some of the bad (just a little bit, not much, just enough) to know the good, right? You guys are awesome. yay for the 80s.
K

Ellie McFreaken said...

I TOO loved Karate Kid...I don't remember and swearing but it is amazing how differently you start looking and listening to movies when you have kids......Thank Goodness for High School Musical!

meegz said...

I loved those moveies too!:) I would venture to say Top Gun and Pretty Woman were up there too (and I'm pretty sure I really SHOULDN'T have watched those) We are definitly an overparenting generation -- I'm with your husband -- we turned out okay!:)
Truthfully, there is a fine line -- will we ever find it?

Unknown said...

I knew a missionary that recommended Princess Bride to a member family which was fine until the rats in the swamp show up and attack Wesley in the fire swamp. I guess the kids screamed and freaked out, but the rest of us missionaries thought it was hilarious. Jenn and I watched some Karate Kid when it was on tv recently and we got a lot of laughs making fun of things in the movie. Goonies is still great though, statue and all.

Katrina said...

I think 80's movies were particularly bad with the swears. I'm amazed that my parents allowed us to watch them. Karate Kid 1 & 2- those were good times!

Anonymous said...

Funny thing is Matt's Uncle is obsessed with karte kid -- even until this day (he's 57). It's a bit creepy when you go into his room -- everything is Ralph Macchio. So just in case my kids inherited that gene -- who cares about the swearing, they won't be watching Karte kid :)!

Stacy and Mike said...

I definitley watch movies in a different light these days. Especially since Keaton a few weeks ago told me to "shut-up". We have never said that so I asked him where he got that and he told me the 7 dwarfs say it on "Snow White" which is Disney! So lesson is you have to expose them to some things and teach them along the way.