10.23.2009

Locker room conversation

The YMCA locker room is an interesting place. It is a popular hangout for the Silver Sneaker ladies, who have no problems chatting while they are all naked (but that's not part of my story).

Today I was cornered by an older Asian woman. This is part of our conversation:

CAL (crazy asian lady): "Ooooh, whas that on arm?" pointing to my iPod, "is Mp3?"
Me: "No, it's an iPod."
CAL: "oooh, does have music?"
Me: "Yep."
CAL: "What kind music?"
Me: "Mostly fast music for when I run."
CAL: grabs my arm in a clear violation of my personal boundaries, "Ooooooh, you runner. Thas so goood. You so gooood."
CAL continues on with her flattery, at which point I forget all about my personal boundary issues and want to hug her.
CAL: "You eighteen?"
Me: "No, I'm 32."
CAL: "Oooooh, you look so youung."
Me: "Will you be my Grandma?"

Let's face it, we need all the compliments we can get, even if it's from CAL (who I love now, BTW.)

13 comments:

Katrina said...

Ha ha! That is so something that would happen to me. Sometimes the line between psychotic and genuine kindness is quite thin.

meegz said...

Oh -- I love her too now!:)

I think I'll be the CCL when I am older...or maybe I already am?

"crazy Caucasian lady":)

Mama C said...

Too cute. By the way you're 33 :)

Jamie said...

Darn it! All day today I've been thinking I'm a year younger than I really am. That's just depressing!

Mama C said...

Sorry! I was laughing when I saw that becuase I never know how old I am either. You have no reason to be depressed the wisdom of a 33 year old in the body of 18 year old is what everyone dreams of.

Sara said...

I LOVED the Silver Sneaker ladies at the YMCA! They always took a swimming class and hung around naked chatting all morning long in the locker rooms. I thought they were specific to VA. They must only let really really nice old ladies go to silver sneakers! I always left feeling really young and amazing after they talked to me (and kinda grossed out from all the nakedness).

Stacy and Mike said...

ha ha. I love that you forgot your age! That's great!

Christy said...

hmm....Forgetting your age isn't that a sign of old haha j/k. I have don't that too. I love old people they are so darn cute. Well.... some of them are. :)

Anonymous said...

What is with the old people being naked in the locker room...very wrong.

I want my own CAL. She sounds great when my self esteem could use a boost.

Unknown said...

That is the funniest thing I've heard today. :)

Angela said...

haha! that is too funny! You have a new bff now!

Tara said...

Ha ha ha ha! That's awesome!

Rach said...

Oh my gosh, how funny! And remind me to steer clear of the YMCA locker room and the "Silver Sneaker" ladies!