Okay, so I don't know much about Oklahoma yet, but here are a few observations that I've made so far:
* People here are dead serious about college football. Especially when it comes to their rivalry with the Texas Longhorns. I swear the only thing I hear people talk about is football and whether you're an OU or OSU fan.
* These oil drills are everywhere. In people's backyards, in the middle of a parking lot.... anywhere where someone thinks they can strike oil, they will put one of these there.
* People here don't like ethanol in their gas. It made me so curious I had to do a little research on ethanol. I could write an entire essay on the subject, but the bottom line is, you get worse gas mileage with ethanol and they don't sell you the gas any cheaper. People don't want that.
* People are very family oriented. It's nice to be in an area where the schools are super friendly and I don't get weird looks when I walk around with my 3 children. In most places if you have more than 2 kids people think you're crazy. The comment I get the most is "this is a great place to raise a family."
*You can go to the Czech festival every October in Yukon. It's known as the Czech capital of Oklahoma. Funny. It's not just the birthplace of Garth Brooks!
On Saturday, we went to the Czech parade. It turns out it is like any other parade: A few interesting floats, some candy is thrown your way, and the rest is just really boring advertising on the sides of cars (since when does that count as a parade float?)
* People here are dead serious about college football. Especially when it comes to their rivalry with the Texas Longhorns. I swear the only thing I hear people talk about is football and whether you're an OU or OSU fan.
* These oil drills are everywhere. In people's backyards, in the middle of a parking lot.... anywhere where someone thinks they can strike oil, they will put one of these there.
* People here don't like ethanol in their gas. It made me so curious I had to do a little research on ethanol. I could write an entire essay on the subject, but the bottom line is, you get worse gas mileage with ethanol and they don't sell you the gas any cheaper. People don't want that.
* People are very family oriented. It's nice to be in an area where the schools are super friendly and I don't get weird looks when I walk around with my 3 children. In most places if you have more than 2 kids people think you're crazy. The comment I get the most is "this is a great place to raise a family."
*You can go to the Czech festival every October in Yukon. It's known as the Czech capital of Oklahoma. Funny. It's not just the birthplace of Garth Brooks!
On Saturday, we went to the Czech parade. It turns out it is like any other parade: A few interesting floats, some candy is thrown your way, and the rest is just really boring advertising on the sides of cars (since when does that count as a parade float?)
Emi's dance studio did this float.
We were hoping to try some authentic Czechoslovakian food, but the closet we found were some bratwursts. Does that count?
7 comments:
The ethanol aversion is interesting. I thought that with that being corn country the farmers would like ethanol, especially if it's subsidized.
Sounds like you are throwing yourself into your new surroundings. Good for you. Well.....are you OU or OSU fans????
Most the people I work with that have looked into ethanol don't care for it either. There is one guy that knows a few stations that have no ethanol in their gas and he plans his trips around being able to fill up at those.
I had to do a lot of catching up. I love Kali's skirt. I am envious about your sushi night. Ethanol was a BAD idea.
Looks like you're having fun! We miss you guys here, though!
Wow. That Czech parade/carnival gives me some ideas for Canada day... :)
Sounds like you guys are having fun out there! And, I totally remember the football thing. It is that way in Texas too. Us southerners are serious about our football games!
Post a Comment