8.01.2009

Another cliche saying...

IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED...

We were determined today to make it all the way up the Devil's Head trail.

Kali showing us the way. She is too much like her Dad.
Align Center
If it's a ponderosa, why does it smell like maple syrup?

At the top of this trail, you can see (literally) millions of ladybugs. They covered the rocks and trees - it was pretty crazy. The kids thought it was way cool. Me, I was a little creeped out.



This trail takes you to an old fire lookout station. The ranger lives right at the base of the station (I assume the ranger lives here since there's laundry hung on a line).
Another clue that someone lives here...

That's the fire lookout station.

Kids + heights = one mom having a heart attack.
Once you make it to the top, you have a 360 degree view,
100 miles out in every direction. Pretty cool!
I am going to miss the mountains!

11 comments:

MAstle said...

Pretty cool place. I'd like to visit there, but we don't have any excuse to go to Colorado Springs anymore.

Rach said...

We need to do that hike. And, I know what you mean about kids and heights. John thinks I am paranoid, but I always freak out about stuff like that. Must be a Mom thing. We gotta pack a ton of stuff into this last week before you guys go =(

Bench Family said...

You'll have to come visit the Ozark Mtns. when you get to the south.... they aren't quite as spectacular, but they're something!

Mel said...

I am glad you made it to the top this time. Sorry the ranger was out and you didn't get your squirrel card, but you saw the view and that was awesome>

Brandon and Sommar said...

Glad you made it to the top. I gotta take my kids and go do that hike. Can't believe you are leaving in a week!

Katrina said...

Yeeeeaaah. That's a lot of ladybugs.

Anonymous said...

I am going to have to agree with you on the lady bugs, that many of any bug in one place is creepy :)

Looks like a beautiful place!

Brownie Bites said...

I could sure use some of those ladybugs in my garden. That fire look-out looks HIGH! Great view though.

Christina said...

I think my favorite part is that you wore those huge stylin' earings for such a hike.

I like the ladybugs too. I too would be creeped out.

Tara said...

Sooo worth it, huh?!! Love that place!

Stacy and Mike said...

Keaton would have loved those ladybugs. Glad you made it. We need to talk soon!
WE just got back so call me tonight@