“Life without chocolate is like a beach without water.”
“And he spake unto the multitude, and said unto them: Behold your little ones.”
3 Nephi 17:23
PREFACE: THE STAR
The Austin and Turner families received 12 beautifully wrapped presents from Carol, aka Grandma Austin, for Christmas. Every morning, for twelve days, Kali, Caleb and Emi of the Colorado Austin household woke up extra early to open a new present. Now, these boxes didn't contain some forgettable plastic toy which would have been enjoyed for a day or two and then discarded at the bottom of the toy box. The purpose of each gift was to give the families something memorable to do together as a family. The Colorado Austins have spent countless hours playing Uno flash (gift on day 4), and those moments surly will not be forgotten.
On one of the first days (in fact, it may have been the very first day), the gift was a simple wooden star. It came with instructions, which explained that if you were in possession of the star you had to do something kind for a family member and then place the star on that person's pillow – all secretly, of coarse. If you found the star on your pillow, then it was your turn to pay it forward.
Christmas passed, and all of the decorations were packed away. All except for the star, which got left behind in a child's bedroom.
THE GIRL WHO LOVES CHOCOLATE
Anybody who knows anything about 10 year old Kali knows that this girl loves chocolate. You know she is a true chocolate lover because she prefers dark chocolate over the wimpy milky stuff. One morning, Kali found a Hershey's Kiss hiding on the floor behind a door. Ecstatic, she ran down the stairs to show Mom her find. Mom jokingly grabbed it from her, telling her that it was way too early to be eating chocolate. Mom was kidding of coarse, because she understands a girl's love of chocolate - and she gave it back. Kali ran back upstairs, and Mom assumed the tiny piece of chocolate had been devoured before Kali even reached the top step.
A HERSHEY'S KISS
Sometimes, Mom can get a little down because she thinks her life is dull. Here is an example of a typical morning for Mom: she drags herself out of bed at an ungodly hour to get in her morning run, feeds three sleepy-eyed children breakfast, makes two lunches, and once the two older children are off to school, she focuses on spending the rest of the morning straightening up the house (you can't really call what she does cleaning) - all while entertaining a three year old princess.
So it was on a typical, unexciting morning when Mom was begrudgingly making her way to her bedroom to make her bed that she found something on her pillow that completely took her breath away.
In that moment, Mom realized that her life is in fact not dull at all. It is rich and filling and delicious. Just like chocolate.
“...by small and simple things are great things brought to pass” Alma 37:6
18 comments:
What a great story! And your writing was wonderful, I'm very impressed. Kali is such a good girl!
Make me cry, why don't ya? I love your kids! Kali is such a sweetheart. Those early mornings are worth it for moments like this.
Not surprised! Kali is a sweetheart, just from the little times I have talked to her. What a great way to start your morning. Kids surprise us when we least expect it!
Oh.my.gosh! That is seriously the sweetest and cutest thing ever! It's moments like these that make being a mother the most rewarding job of all. It makes you forget for a moment about all the dull and repetative things we do every stinkin' day! Trust me, I feel like my life is "dull" at times too! What a sweet and thoughtful daughter you have. She is beautiful too by the way (just in case you didn't know! LOL!)
She has caught that spirit better than anyone else I know--I know how much she loves chocolate (I've been sneaking it to her basically her whole life). I [heart] Kali. Thanks for the story.
So last night Caleb saw the star, snuck upstairs, and put it on Kali's pillow with a dollar bill on it (thoughtful and practical). He didn't think anyone saw and would be embarrassed if he knew I noticed him do something nice for his sister.
That's when you know you've done something right as a mom! What a tender moment to recharge your batteries as a mom! I loved the story! It's through your example of kindness to others that they are learning this you know! Even if you do nickname people "nazi!":) The comment about Caleb was darling as well! A little kindness competition!
Just so you know I am totaly crying!! It doesn't take much to make us moms proud of our children!
Kali is a good girl!!
Jamie! you are amazing! What great mom you are to appreciate your daughter like that -- ps I love peace like a river! great book!
What a sweet post. You know she loves you when she gives up her chocolate! And, does it mean I am not a chocolate lover if I don't like dark chocolate?=) I am just starting the book Life of Pi. I'll let you know if it is good.
Wow. That is just awesome. I love the 12 days of memories gift idea. I love the star idea. I love that your family actually used it. I love your writing. Have you read The Book Thief? I love that book. Your post title reminds me of it.
Ok, I'm bawling!! What a sweetie! That's sacrifice!!!!
I have tears!!! That was so sweet. Love the star idea!!
I can't see what I am typing because my eyes are filled with tears. She is sooo sweet! I love that girl!
I am going to encorporate that star tradition in my family! I love it. Thanks for sharing. It made my day!!!
Ahh what a sweet post, something I totally needed today! Thanks!
So I have to give a lesson on supporting family members and I am planning on telling your story. I hope it is ok. It is just so dang cute and you guys are doing such a great job.
That is so sweet! I love the 12 days of Christmas thing from Grandma.
Hi Jamie-I found your blog again-and sent you an invite to mine in your e-mail.
What a great thing for a little girl to do-and what a truly unselfish act!(especially for a chocolate lover)That entry made me cry. Thanks for posting a great story!
Post a Comment