2.23.2009

Our wild, crazy boy has a tender side.


I was very sad when Caleb grew out of his cuddling stage and started getting embarrassed when I tried to hug or kiss him in front of other people (especially his friends). I usually use kisses instead of spankings as punishment.

But every once in a while Caleb will show us that he is really tender hearted. Tonight he actually opened up to me and told me that he has been having a hard time at school with his friends. Kids these days are just so mean, and Caleb is overly sensitive. I felt completely useless as a mother because nothing I said made him feel better, and he went to sleep not looking forward to school tomorrow.

Caleb also showed his tender side this afternoon when he thought Emi was lost in the neighborhood (Brian had taken Emi to the store without telling him). He searched and searched for her, and after getting very nervous that he couldn't find her, asked one of the neighbor girls to help him look for his little sister. I was teaching violin at the time and didn't realize what Caleb was doing until he finally came home very upset.

Another evidence of Caleb's sweet side is that he has been obsessed with the book "The Giving Tree" for weeks now. I have never liked this book because I think the boy in the story is selfish and I feel sad that the tree ends up as a stump. I don't think I've ever read this book to Caleb, but he found it in the house somewhere and has been reading it to himself every night. Tonight while Caleb was getting ready for bed he related the entire story to me and told me all about his favorite part, which was the ending when the boy was an old man and didn't need much except a quiet place to sit and rest, and that made the tree very happy. The way he told the story was very sweet, and I had to hold back the tears because Caleb would not like me getting emotional.

So although Caleb tries his best not to show his emotional side, I'm glad that I have such a sweet boy. And I can breathe a sigh of relief because he still very shyly asks me to snuggle him when he goes to bed at night.

13 comments:

Christina said...

I also think that the boy in that book is very selfish. That is super sweet that Caleb likes that story. What a sweet kid. I don't want Samuel to grow up. I get more and more nervous the older he gets.

Christina said...

Oh, and I am so sorry about not knowing what to say. I hear you on that one. Being a mommy is so hard sometimes.

Anonymous said...

What a good boy he is!
I have never liked that book either! I thought I was about the only one who didn't like it.
I hate the feeling of not knowing what to say to our kids to help them feel better.

MAstle said...

I've always thought that about Caleb.

When I was a Boy Scout, Morris Goates asked me why I was so glum one day. I told him I didn't have any friends--I was feeling bad because the older kids had picked on me, as well as the other younger guys, I suppose. He named some of my friends and told me that if I didn't straighten up he'd kick me in the rear with his steel-toed boots. I don't remember if that worked, but I was careful not to look sad anymore.

Stephanie said...

You're teaching violin? How long have you been doing that? What a sweet Caleb!

Jennifer said...

That is so sweet, made me almost cry just reading it. I hate when your kids get sad, especially about friend things... cuz what can you do?

Ellie McFreaken said...

What a sweet post Jam! I love hearing about his sensitive side.
I just bought the AMerican Doll movie that just came out Charissa. It is all about bullying (girls) and talks about how to deal with some of those issues. Kids are SOOOO mean and it makes me want to march right in there and bop the kids on the head but we just have to teach our kids how to deal with it themselves as hard as it may be. Go get that movie. I wish all the Queen B's would watch it!

Ellie McFreaken said...

P.S. NOt that your dealing with directly bullying but just treating people poorly in general. I still beleive that they learn at home how to treat others....not trying to start a debate just what I deep down believe.

leslie said...

I have always seen that sweet side of Caleb--he is Will's favorite! Isn't it amazing how most kid's survive growing up. Give him some extra love from us!

Oh, BTW, for you and some of your friends talking about bullying--you should read Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes. It is intense though, and put me in a dark mood for some time.

Mama C said...

I was just talking to Eric about how bad bullying has gotten. The other night at Young Womens I spoke to the girl who was getting bullied. She has had a really rough time at school lately and I really had nothing to tell except hold your head up high and know that a bunch of REALLY cool people love you. I think that all we can give our children is the knowledge that no matter what their really cool family loves them.

Stacy and Mike said...

Has he tried using his Karate chop on those mean bullies? Damn kids!

What a sweet lil' guy. I love that he is upset when he can't find his sister and it's all on his shoulders to find her. OHHHHHH!

Rach said...

Aww, what a sweet post. I love it when my rough, tough boys still like to be cuddled every now and then. Sorry about the kids at school that are giving him a hard time.

Tara said...

What a sweet post...and a sweet kid! I will miss that as my little "tornado" grows up. I still remember my little brother wanting "7 kisses" from my mom when he went off to school in JR HIGH!!! (NOT in front of friends, of course!) Hopefully those days won't leave forever.
Tell me the little brats name at school and I'LL go find him! Maybe mom can't, but strange lady CAN! hee hee!