9.02.2008

While the rooster sleeps....

The Austins had an action-packed Labor Day. It's not every day that the kids are dragged out of bed at 5:30 in the morning and it was our very first time going to a hot air balloon festival. Colorado Springs is home to the largest hot air balloon festival in the Rocky Mountain region and we have been excited to go to it ever since we moved here. Although the windy conditions kept a lot of balloons from taking off (it didn't feel windy to me but what do I know about flying hot air balloons?), we were still able to see quite a few, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. The really talented flyers were able to steer their balloons to the water and skim across the top. The not so talented flyers dunked themselves in the water or missed altogether. How cool is that? It was so neat to see them fill up their balloons and take off right in front of us. It was also fun to run into so many friends from our ward. We hope to make this an annual tradition for the Austins!

This is the first balloon to take off - it tests the weather conditions and gets the festivities started.

Emi thought the balloons were a little too noisy.


Afterward, we met the Allens for breakfast and then drove up to Cheyenne Canyon state park to do some sight seeing. I say sight seeing instead of hiking because when you have a three year old in your group, you don't do much hiking. The kids found lots of fun critters and had a blast. Thanks Allens!

We finished the holiday by meeting some neighbors at the park for a BBQ. It was a good thing I was able to take a nap in between the hike and BBQ to recover a little bit.

p.s. Congrats to Sommar who had her baby shortly after leaving the festival. Talk about "labor" day!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very cool!! I have never gotten up early enough to see the ballons take off. You must be tired after all that in one day!

Alison Ward said...

What a fun tradition! We did that in Provo this year on the 4th and loved it. It's so fun to see them so up close! The mountains are beautiful too.

Christina said...

That looks like fun. I have an anti-social husband so I get jealous when I read about families hanging out together. Poor me. You asked about lining up photos (You the computer genius, me the computer clutz). I think your photos might not line up unless they are super small because your blog layout is kind of narrow.

Ellie McFreaken said...

How fun! There is a hot air balloon festival in Eden every year and we've never been. That looks like so much fun!
I'm glad you are having so much fun there Jamie....wish we were there having the fun with ya!

Mick and Tiff said...

You are not suppose to find such great friends in Co. Don't these people know that you NEED to move back to Utah and if they keep making you feel so welcome then you never will... (ha ha just kidding. I am very happy that you have such great friends) That hot air balloon festival looks so cool. Maybe I need to move there! :)

Mick and Tiff said...

Oh, and I got my collages from a program called Picassa. You can just google it and download Picassa and then it is really easy.

elise said...

I love this. I was there one year. SO Jamie lets go. Next year up in one right!

Courtney said...

What a picture! You could make a postcard out of that first one! WOW!