9.21.2008

There's a first time for everything.....

For our Friday night date nights, we try to be creative (by creative I mean cheap) so for our date a couple night's ago I thought it would be fun to go play racquetball. It looks fun, plus it's free, thanks to our Y membership. Mind you, Brian and I have never played before, don't know any of the rules, and I generally suck at any type of game where balls are involved. They had some general rules posted on the wall but they weren't much help, so we kind of had to make up our own rules. It ended up being a ton of fun and I want to start playing often.

I also learned on Saturday that I love kickball. The stake YW had a kickball tournament and they ended up being short a couple players so I volunteered to play. I had some traumatic experiences playing dodge ball and a game called bum's up (or something like that) in 6th grade so since then I have avoided playing games where I have to hit or catch a ball, but at the game on Saturday I had a blast!

So this week I am going to do some research and learn how to really play racquetball (the youtube video above is entertaining but not much help). After some practice, maybe we can actually play against other teams. Anybody up for it?

10 comments:

Tom and Misti Sherwood said...

That sounds like fun... It's good to be creative and try something new!

meegz said...

Philip plays almost everyday and loves it. We went on a date one time and I was dizzy by the time we left - the rules were crazy! I say, no rules, it'd be more fun that way.:) It's fun to try new stuff.

Stephanie said...

Doug and I went and did that for our date too. It was fun! And cheap babysitting- the gym has it for .50/hr. We didn't play by the rules even though I had looked them up on line before. We were lucky to hit the ball back to the wall. We are definately going to do it again- it's active and cheap the perfect combo! :)

Tina said...

Hi Jamie,

It is good to see what you guys are up to. Racketball is fun isn't! You family is adorable and your blog is cool! Take care!

Rach said...

We love racquetball!! I didn't know they had courts at the YMCA, we might have to get a membership just for that.

Stacy and Mike said...

It's on baby!

Anonymous said...

The husky children were always the best at kickball. I was one of those husky children.
jt

Christina said...

Karl tried to teach me and it freaked me out to have a ball come at me so fast. It goes so fast in that small space!

Heather said...

We used to go and play racquetball at Utah State all of the time. I love it! I basically look like the girl in the video though. That is so funny. It does make me want to start playing again because it is so much fun!

Weavers said...

That's funny you played kickball. We had a bunch of friends get together and we played a few weeks ago and I couldn't walk the next day b/c I was so sore.

Tell Brian in a contest Jared could beat him at raquetball with his eyes closed.