5.15.2008

“Are You Sure You Shouldn’t Buy Her Jewelry?”


For my Mother’s Day gift this year I asked Brian to buy me a bread maker. That’s right folks, I have never owned one. But after attending my 115th Enrichment activity on using wheat, and also realizing how much food costs these days, I decided it was time to get the wheat grinder out of the box for the first time and actually give it a shot. Because I rarely eat bread (carbs and I are not friends), I will mostly be doing this for (#1) my kids, and (#2) to save money.

So if I was going to start making my own bread, I knew I needed a machine that would do the work for me. Most of you know that I HATE to bake and cook and pretty much do anything in the kitchen. What I love is eating out. Let’s just say that I have never been compared to Martha Stewart. I'm sure this will be the extent of me using our wheat storage. You won't catch me at home sprouting wheat and drinking wheat grass.

So even though the lady at Macy's tried to talk Brian out of buying a bread maker as a Mother’s Day gift, I am really excited about it!

(side note: I do eat carbs in the form of whole grains and vegetables, I just have to limit the amount of grains I eat. I don't want anyone to think I completely cut out all carbs.)

12 comments:

Mick and Tiff said...

I wish I could cut out the bread carbs and stick to veggies. Bread and sweets are my biggest weaknesses. (is that the spelling?) I do love the bread maker and I think it is a great Mother's Day gift.
BTW- Did you see Fantasia on American Idol last night? OH WOW! I think Simon's face said it all. I kept telling Jennifer "She has to be on drugs!"

Unknown said...

Seriously, the lady said "are you sure you shouldn't buy her jewelry?" What can I say . . . I'm a risk taker . . .

Unknown said...

You also don't drink/make wheat grass because you aren't a daggum hippie weirdo.

Courtney said...

You know you're a mom when... I asked for a pressure cooker. The best part is that, like you, I am truly excited. I make (almost) all our bread. Let me know how it goes, it took a while for me to get it where I like it- I still find myself tweaking things looking for perfection.

meegz said...

I'm pretty much a realist -- breadmaker vs. jewelry at Macy's -- breadmaker would win!:) I'd take some Target jewelry on the side though!:) ENJOY the fresh bread!

Ellie McFreaken said...

Now Megan...I like the way she thinks......Breadmaker IS definately the way to go with a lil' cheap jewels on the side from Target....NOT wal-mart.... Tar-Jhea! BIg difference....
ANyway, the longer I blog the worse my comments get...I always think I am pretty darn funny while I am writing then but when I go back and read them later it is NOT SO FUNNY......

Ellie McFreaken said...

Jaime..I just read Brian's blog post...I about peed my pants! Now THAT is funny! I am going to have Jake read it too.
Man, I miss you guys.
I think I write that in every comment!

condiefamily said...

You are all grown up! Our funny family story about Mom's day is similar...My mom (about 30 yrs ago) was so excited because my dad got her a load of dirt for mother's day! She must have been really sick and tired of the yard not being landscaped!
Enjoy the bread maker but don't forget to ask for jewelry too!

Heather said...

I am with all of the other mother's out there. The breadmaker is a cute idea and smart seeing how we won't be able to afford to eat pretty soon! One year for Christmas Jason bought me a Dyson vaccuum and I love it. He said the guys at work still give him a hard time for getting me a vaccuum but we needed one and we have had no problems with it! Good luck making bread. We will have to come try it out sometime.

Stacy and Mike said...

Props to Brian for taking the risk. If I were Brian I might have thought, "Jamie already has way too much jewelry anyway and until she gives some of that to Stacy she is getting a bread maker." Next Mothers Day it could be another kitchen appliance if you want to unload some of your cute jewelry before then. : )

I too love Brian's blog not quite peeing my pants but close.

Christina said...

I love practical gifts. Good choice. Courtney is an excellent break baker so you really should get some tips from her. I call her for that reason. Like she is a bread baking hot line or something.

Bill Gates II said...

Great minds think a like. A few years ago I asked for the same thing. Unfortunately I can't seem to make very good bread with it. Mine always come out like a rock. I am sure you are much smarter. Good luck with the new machine. Maybe you could give me a few tips.