5.29.2009

Hooray For Summer

Things we are looking forward to doing this Summer:

Getting wet.

Soakin' up some rays.

Seeing our family.

Fireworks.

Camping.
I don't have anything specific to report or write, I just feel like saying I am excited for Summer break! This year went by so quickly, it doesn't seem real that the kids are already out of school. Ironically, the kids woke up around 6:30 this morning, even though we had to fight them to get up for school every single day this school year. What is that about?

We have had a fabulous first day of Summer break - making pancakes for breakfast (had to dye them red of coarse), playing with friends, I got the kids to clean the entire basement.... and Kali even babysat Emi for us so we could go out to lunch with some friends. (We went to a place called Thai Basil - my two favorite words when it comes to food. Yum!)

On another note, our household was shaken up this week by a visit from the Binky Fairy. Yes, Emi still can't sleep without it. We prepared her for the last two months for this visit. We told her the Binky Fairy would get to keep all of her binkies but would leave her a toy. She hasn't been upset about it at all, but she is unable to fall asleep. Nap times are not happening. And you all know I literally can't survive without nap time, so this is not acceptable. I wouldn't mind if she would even just stay in her room quietly and play for an hour, but that isn't happening either. It's actually really sad to have to take away something from her that has been such a huge part of her comfort and happiness since the day she was born. My friend told me that her daughter called her binky her "mamma." That totally explains how much binkies mean to them, and here us mean parents have to take them away forever. Boy, growing up is hard.

Well, I am going to go chase Emi back into bed now. Here's wishing y'all a fun-filled summer!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Emi!! Thankfully none of my kids were super attached to their binkies. I can't wait for summer too :)

Rach said...

Yeah, I am excited for summer too!! I have to ask though, why did you dye your pancakes red?? The "binky fairy" was a good idea, good luck with nap time.

Shelley said...

OOOO I read Graceling! It's good!!

Mama C said...

I am going to have to make colored pancakes tomorrow. Hopefully when you come to town you will visit with cousins too :)

Mel said...

My little ones were up early too today. And I hear you about the naps. I was like you that I had to have my babies take them or I would go insane. I needed that time for me and when they got bigger and didn't take them anymore--it was hard. Good luck with that. Happy Summer!

Angela said...

HOORAY for summer! I am excited for summer too this year even though that means having FIVE kids at home for three months! We have just one more week of school. Good luck and hope your summer turns out fantastic.
Side note: atleast you can take the binky away. Emma sucks her thumb and I keep telling her that she can't go to Kindergarten if she doesn't stop....I've tried all kinds of bribery! She won't/can't stop for the life of her.

Tara said...

What fun pix! I'm excited, too! My kids were all up early, too... what's with that? Good luck with naps. That's why Tyler has a thing on his doorknob. He can't get out... yet!

Tom and Misti Sherwood said...

I am totally excited it's summer time!!!! I am looking forward to all of the things on your list too. I remember the binky. Cody was my kid that I snuck him a binky for nap and bedtime because Tom hated it. It was so worth it for me though. Good luck!

Heather said...

I am excited for summer too! I am especially excited for the part about you coming to see family. Michael just told us that you guys are going to Jackson for the 4th and my family is going there too. We are all going to Bar J on the 3rd. I am excited!! Good luck with the binky thing. I remember taking Parker's away. You do feel mean but once they forget about it, it is quite nice not to have one.

Mick and Tiff said...

I am excited for all those things as well. Jennifer tells me we are having a big cousin party one day so that will be nice.

I didn't know Emi was a binky girl. I thought your kids were all thumb kids.

what time is your first leg of the wasatch back. I will be in Logan that night so I thought I could stop and cheer you on (depending on when you first run and where)

Stacy and Mike said...

Emi needs some lolipops!

Can't wait to see you! What should the menu look like?

Alison Ward said...

Ahh the Binki Fairy, that did work for Gavin. He had a blankie too that has become his total comfort thing, he even sucks on the corners when he's upset. Good luck with it, losing the naps is NOT exceptable!

DeAnna said...

Awwww! I feel so bad for her! It was hard taking Shaylee's from her too, but after a horrible 3 days, she got over it! The other 2 are the ones I am going to have fun with, they are both thumb suckers!!!! HELP!!!