2.18.2009

Where is my brain?

I don't know what's happened to my brain lately (and by lately I mean the last 10 years of my life), but I always feel like I'm barely keeping up with everything. Here are a few random incidents that have made me feel less-than-on-top-of-things lately:

Last night was our Young Women New Beginnings night. I was in charge of typing up the program, and the night before last I had a HORRIBLE dream in which I showed up at the church and totally forgot about the programs. Trust me, it was a nightmare. I'm glad I can count on my subconscious to help me out every now and again.

Last Friday I drove to the other side of town to drop the kids off at karate, ran into King Soopers (that's Smiths for you Utahns) and grabbed a chicken meal for dinner. I got up to the register, dug into my huge purse, and realized that I had taken out my wallet earlier that day and left it sitting right here by my computer. I was in a hurry to make an online purchase and forgot to put it back. Anway, I was already at the register and I happen to have a checkbook in my purse, so I asked the guy if he would take it without I.D. It turned into an embarrasing scene with the manager being called up. After I told the manager that I would not drive all the way back to get my wallet, he finally took my check, but not before making me feel like a terrorist at an airport.

I tried to make an appointment for Caleb with his pediatrician today, and I told them that he has not been in before and is a new patient. Apparently I made an appointment for him last August and was a no-show, and their computer started screaming at them to not let us in their office. I vaguely remember that I decided to take Caleb to a dermatologist instead of the ped office, but I swear I remember canceling? hmmmm. Maybe. The appointment scheduler told me that she would have to speak with the office manager and call me back. At that point, I wished I could have told her we would find another office to go to, but I have taken Emi to this doctor, everybody I know goes to him, and I really like him! The office manager did call back and they are going to give us another chance. How generous of them.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who regularly has moments like this. I tell myself that I just have too much to think about, but that is probably just an excuse and I'm really going senile. We are already blacklisted at American Furniture Warehouse, I'm afraid if we keep this up we will be ran out of town!

14 comments:

Christy said...

ha ha this is so funny. I forget things all the time your not alone. I am just not gutsy enought to blog my forgetfulness.

Dirk and Trish said...

I do that too. D thinks it's not that big a deal, but I forget so much it upsets me. You are so not alone! I would post mine, but I forgot them already. Oh well!

Rach said...

Oh, I'm right there with you. I used to be able to blame it on being pregnant, but I don't have that excuse anymore. Why are you blacklisted at American Furniture Warehouse?

Anonymous said...

Glad to know I am not the only one whose brain is not working at full capacity. I blame child birth. :)

Jamie said...

You can read about our furniture experience at http://austinfamilyfun.blogspot.com/2008/01/wheres-customer-service-in-customer.html

Bill Gates II said...

Don't worry Jamie. I lost mine years ago too. I forget everything. Even names of loved ones and such. It is terrible and getting worse. You are not alone!

Tara said...

That's so funny! I just read the AFW story and it's good to know. We're in the market for a new bed and we WON'T be going there! (That's gotta make you feel better, huh? They've now lost 2 customers in search of a new bed! You and us!)
One of these days I'll have to blog about my King Soopers pharmacy experience and why we will NEVER get a prescription filled there!

Katrina said...

You are not alone. I have to have things automatically done for me or I forget. I can't be trusted.

MAstle said...

Um. I was going to comment, but I forgot what I was going to say.

Mick and Tiff said...

I hate when I forget my ID at the grocery store but I must be lucky and have never had the grocery nazi harrass me like you did- especially for a small chicken (like $7.00 or something).

I also blame my forgetfulness on pregnancy... nothing had ever been the same since!

meegz said...

I'm going to take Ginko Biloba. Isn't that supposed to help your memory? I can't remember? :)

I've done all of the above -- and way tooo much more. I get so frustrated at myself -- good to know we're all in the same boat. At least a high percentage of us.:)

The Dr. was a BIT overprotective of their appts. At least they gave Ang 3 no shows before they kicked her out.:)

Heather said...

That made me laugh! It only makes me laugh because I can see myself in all of those situations. I agree with Tiffany that having kids takes the brain juices right out of you! That wouldn't be too bad of a thing though to have you kicked out of Colorado Springs so you would be forced to come back here!!! HEEHEEHEE

Stacy and Mike said...

I have had the doctor appt incident where I swear I canceled but they still have me as a no show! GREAT!!!

I have known about your senility for a while now but I still love ya!!! ha ha great post

Tom and Misti Sherwood said...

I think it gets worse the older the kids get. Maybe because life gets busier. I won't be able to function when the kids are teenagers.