7.28.2008

Spudman '08

We just got back from a short visit to Utah. We crammed in a lot in a very short period. The main reason for our visit was so I could do the Spudman triathlon in Burley, Idaho. I have done a few sprint distance tri's but this was my first olympic (1 mi swim, 25 mi bike, 6.2 mi run) and I was VERY nervous. Add nerves + a bad cup of chili from Wendy's and that equals me spending pre-race night in the porta-potties. I got it all out of my system by race morning and all went well. Heading to the start line. There were 5000 people wearing the same cap so who knows if that is really me.
I didn't push myself too hard because I was worried about losing steam, so my goal for next year is to cut at least 10 minutes from my time.

For anyone who is interested in doing an olympic triathlon but is scared, I highly recommend this race. You ride the current down snake river so the swim is seriously easy and the rest of the course is not bad at all. Plus they give you wicked ugly t-shirts with human-potatoes on it. But please, if you have a weak heart, don't do it. A 60 year old guy drowned in the wave that went right after mine. It kind of freaked everybody out.
heading to the bike course
the big finish

The rest of the week we were able to see old friends, old neighbors, and of coarse all of our parents, gradparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, cousins, and more cousins. It was a great week but I'm glad to be home - I am very worn out.
Traveling can do that to ya!

17 comments:

Unknown said...

I work with two guys who decided that we're going to do a triathlon relay next year, and our goal is to do it faster than Jamie can do one (by herself).

Anonymous said...

Great Job Jamie! It was so fun catching up! I already miss ya!

Weavers said...

That last picture of you gave me the chills, I don't know why, but I ALWAYS get teary-eyed when I see people at a finish line. I guess it just reminds me that we are really lucky to have bodies that can pretty much do anything we put our minds to. Good Job!!!

Courtney said...

AMAZING! Truly amazing!

Bill Gates II said...

Great job! You are truly amazing.

Tamara said...

Awesome--I admire you! It was fun looking at your blog and what life is like out there in Colorado. The post about your childhood in Japan was really interesting!

Ellie McFreaken said...

Yeah Jamie!!!! Great job girl!
I hope you had fun doing it!

Stacy and Mike said...

I saw on the news about that guy that died and he did stuff like this all the time. It was so sad.
But hey, you are my inspiration to pull myself out of the post pregnancy body into something a little more athletic and strong like yours!!! Where do I pick up endurance?

Angela said...

Hi Jamie! The man who died, Don Moorehouse, was my husband's boss for many years. I can't believe he died. We still haven't heard any of the details other than he had yelled for help! Crazy! Anyways, way to go on the triathalon!

Angela

Heather said...

Congratulations for accomplishing something that I can never see myself being able to do! You are amazing. It was so much fun to see you guys again. It just went by way too fast.

Anonymous said...

Brian - Your a wimp for sneeking out of the neighborhood and not pong'in with me

Jamie - You're fetchin awesome, like always!
jt

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you found me!!! It is great to find someone else who had done triathlons. I think I know about 25 people who did the Spudman. My brother was in the wave after the guy who drown so he couldn't do the swim part. Sad stuff about that guy.
It is good to hear from you -- I will have to catch up on your family by reading your past posts.

Christy said...

Way to go!! that's awesome.

Bench Family said...

Jamie! You are my hero! What a woman.

Mick and Tiff said...

Good job Jamie!! You are one amazing person! I, like Sara, think that last picture of you running through the finish line says it all. How great you are!!
I am glad I got to see you for like 2 mini seconds.

So sad about that man.

5Kgoatgirl said...

Great job! Well done and maybe I will see you next year there. Seriously Jennifer said we should do that race...what? She thinks just because we did the Pioneer 10K we can do a triathlon - or maybe that was my idea the triathlon not the 10K.
Really great job and I am glad you like your bike!
Amy

Christina said...

Man, Jamie! No sittin' on a rocking chair and growing old for you.