6.23.2009

Wasatch Back Ragnar Relay

My SIL asked Brian and I to join her WB team, and we decided to use that as an excuse to come out to Utah for a visit. Unfortunately, Brian got injured so he got the job of being the cheerleader instead. So many people have told me how fun this race is, but for some reason they all left out how stinkin' hard it is. Besides having to run 2 "very hard" courses and a 3rd "easier" course, I had to deal with 24 + hours of no sleep, tummy aches, nausea (probably from the lack of sleep), and having to visit the honey bucket every 10 minutes (those of you who were there know what I'm talkin' about). I'm sure that in a few weeks I will say that I can't wait to do it again, but as of right now, I can't even walk up or down the stairs because my legs are still so sore, and I don't even want to think about running for a long long time!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with this race, it is a 12 person, 188 mile relay from Logan to Park City. I ran a total of 18.1 miles. Yes, everything about it is completely insane. On the up side, you get to enjoy great company and amazing scenery.

This was taken right before I started my first leg. This is the group from my van
(minus James who was still running).


This is me during my second leg. It was sometime after midnight. Brian was so nice to come ride his bike with me since it was pitch black and we were in the middle of nowhere.

Passing off the baton (it was actually a sweaty wrist band)

Our team finished 3 hours ahead of our estimated time, and I think we did awesome. I'm glad I survived!

We are having fun here in Utah. The kids keep asking if we can move back. Sadly, I don't think that is going to happen for at least a couple more years.

I have taken TONS of pictures already and I am hoping to post them soon. Happy Summer!

These are the Honey Buckets that I became very acquainted with.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I had never realized how good I look on a bicycle until now.

Rach said...

Brian cracks me up!! Well, that race must have been really hard if it makes you not want to run for a long time. Congrats on finishing it! And, what is the honey bucket??

Tara said...

Honey bucket? Fill us in!

Way to go!! I have several friends who did that this year. I can't believe I'd never heard of it until now! You're the woman!

Rod and Jess said...

So jealous! I didn't realize just how much I missed out on it this year until I see your pictures - find me a team next year would ya?? :) Congratulations on finishing! And I know EXACTLY what the Honey Bucket is! It became a very familiar place for me early on in the race! :) Not my favorite memory! Nita says we are all going to try to get together! I can't wait! We miss you SOOOO much!

Unknown said...

Did you happen to see Ryan Stanfield at his group? Probably not, but he ran the relay with a bunch of former Murray High XC folks.

Stacy and Mike said...

My siblings told me they got to see you a few times. CRAZY!! I can't say that I did it but I can that you and my bro and sis did it so that should count for something. How sweet is Brian to ride along side and then comment on how he looks doing it. So Brian!!! Congrats! I'm planning on Sat. Sorry about playing phone tag this week!

Jamie said...

I added a picture of the Honey Buckets so y'all could see what I was talking about...

Grandma Austin said...

I'm seriously proud of all of you--especially you and Leslie and Alec! You too Brian!

Mel said...

Good Job! I would never do it so I am glad that there are others out there that would. I know several people that ran it this year and they all must be as crazy as you! :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh the Honey Buckets, I got to stand in line while they cleaned the ones at the last major exchange. Good times...

I hear ya on the not wanting to ever run again!!

Laura Watson said...

GOOD JOB! It looks like a lot of fun. Laura