Everyone is the age of their heart. ~Guatemalan ProverbSaturday night I went as a chaperone to a youth stake dance. It has been at least 14 years since I attended a stake dance as a youth, and I was surprised to find that they still play the same music that was played at my dances, although I was irritated that they changed the line dance to that country song “Down by the River.” I spent the evening in the back corner with the other chaperones, where we chatted and laughed (mostly at the obnoxious squealing girls), and watched like hawks to make sure nobody broke any rules. Let’s just say it was very entertaining.
Before I showed up at the stake center, I was worried that people would mistake me as one of the youth, since I get told frequently that I look like I’m 18 years old. Just the other day I was at the gas station buying some goodies when a customer came in right as the cashier was asking me for my ID, since I was paying with a card. The customer assumed I was being ID'd for buying alcohol, and he said, “you’re not old enough to drink.” I gave him a very dirty look and said, “I’ve been old enough to drink for 10 years now, mister.” (Ok, I didn’t say mister but he got my point.)
I just don’t get it. My body certainly does not feel 18. And when I look in the mirror, I can plainly see the wrinkles under my eyes. Maybe I could pass for a few years younger than I actually am……. but 18? Seriously?! Anyway, so just as I had feared, while at the dance I had THREE (yes 3) other chaperones ask me which high school I went to! After I told one lady I was a YW leader, she said, “wow, you must be one of those young leaders who just barely got married.” I just smiled and didn’t respond.
For many years now I have been trying everything I can think of to make myself look closer to my real age. I’ve tried different hair styles, I have a special “grown-up” wardrobe for when I need to look more sophisticated, and I wear the tallest shoes I can manage to walk in. But nothing seems to make a difference. In fact, the only thing my vanity has gotten me is some bodily injuries. Here is an example: I have these flip flops that are at least 3 inches high, and I always trip on them, causing the sandals to break, not to mention also twisting my ankles. I go through about 3 pairs every summer. A few weeks ago I actually tripped and skinned a knee pretty badly. (I took this picture a few days after the incident so it had already started to heal - it looked much worse right after it happened.)

I know it is every woman’s wish to look youthful. But really, who wants to look 1/2 their age! And you better be careful about making any wise cracks about my age (or lack thereof) – just remember that I can kick like an 18 year old! (Just ask Brian.)
12 comments:
Heck, I think you should embrace it! When you're 60 you'll love looking 1/2 your age! ;) Besides you're not 36 yet.
Hey! I have to say, I'm in Denver right now, trying to figure out who I would ever make a few hours to stop by and see you guys! It looks like I won't be able to this week, by maybe next time 'round! Tell everyone hi from me!
jt
What is wrong with these people that are saying these comments? Who says stuff like that? Somebody I know still makes jokes about me being 20 (seeing that I got married sooo young) and act like it is the funniest thing ever. I think the joke got old years ago....
I have the opposite problem -- so I can't relate...or can I? Anyway, when I sent out my wedding invites my friends from CA asked me "so, how much older are you than him?" RUDE! He's older than me!!:)
I wish I had your curse:) My hair is going gray and my body is so tired. John got us gym memberships about a month ago and I drag myself home everyday after my workout. Today I weighed myself before I got on the stair stepper and I had gained. I feel doomed. I wish I had your curse:)
...anytime there's food involved, a Samoan is lurking...If I had only known I would have been fed!
Next time Austin's! Aloha!
I was telling a 30ish woman (whom I don't really know) at a company party last week that we have eight grandchildren. She asked how old I am. I said, "55." She said, "Wow, I thought 35, or maybe 38." I said, "Thank you." When you're 55, you'll be happy to be mistaken for even a 38-year-old.
Maybe the answer to people who think you're 18 is "Thank you."
At least you're better off than my former 40-year-old boss, who dressed like an 18-year-old.
First of all .... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!
That is annoying to be mistaken for someone half your age now...but 1/2 your age when your 60 won't be terrible. Poor Brian... everyone must think he is "rockin the cradle" :)
Looking taller does not make you look older so stop with the high shoes.
You look beautiful the way you are and girl you know how to accessorize. You just put the rest of us "old" looking people to shame...celebrate that!
I actually prefer being the younger one now, since I'm starting to feel my knees ache and I understand the whole bags under the eyes thing, but when we were younger I always loved being the bigger sister. Hee hee hee.
I used to get those comments, but now that I don't, I miss them. How sad is that? But I was seriously thinking the other day, "no one has told me I look young lately." The grass is always greener...
Jamie, I feel for you. I think I go through phases where people think I am young but I know when I look in the mirror I just don't see youngness at all. One of my funniest was clear back when I was student teaching and one little 4th grader says to me, "You like Juan, don't you?" Juan was a 6th grader and she thought I was a student and had a crush on him because I was cheering for him during soccer at recess!
When I grow up I want to be just like you!!! If you ever grow up-that is...
I'll call you and maybe we can connect in Utah! YAHOO!!!!
Post a Comment