12.01.2007

Still Unpacking Boxes!

Publish Post

What a crazy month! I spent the beginning of November getting us ready to move, which is not easy without your husband. We closed on our house one week before Thanksgiving and we (the kids and I) spent the week before Thanksgiving at my parent's. I did A LOT of driving back and forth that week. My friend Trisha, who if you know her you will agree that she is the nicest person in the world, had a dinner party with my friends in the neighborhood. We had a screaming good time! Thanks Trish! I only had a disposable camera and unfortunately only one picture turned out. But don't Evelyn and Allison look cute? Brian flew in Wednesday night and we spent a wonderful day at my Grandparent's on Thanksgiving. It was an “on” year so most everybody was there. Friday morning we met our close friends at Little America Hotel for breakfast to say goodbye. It was so sad! After that we hit the road for Colorado! The next morning we found out that the moving van that was supposed to meet us here that morning broke down in Wyoming so we ended up staying in Brian's corporate apartment (ONE BEDROOM!) for another two nights. We finally moved into our house on Monday. I have been so busy trying to get caught up with work that most of the boxes are still sitting where they were left... We finally got the main floor all unpacked - I just hope no visitors want to see the upstairs or basement! Moving has been harder than I thought. I love it here but it still doesn't feel like home. Finding my way around town is not easy and I am only comfortable going to about three places. I called Trisha to talk to her the other day and Caleb Wood was there and just hearing him in the background made me lose it! And then Angie wrote this wonderful blog and that is when I had a total meltdown. Thankfully, Kali and Caleb are doing super. They seem to be having lots of fun in this new place. They LOVE school and there are lots of kids in our ward so they are already making friends. I know we will feel settled soon and Colorado will feel like our home, it is just going to take some time. I love and miss you all! See ya’ll at Christmas!

9 comments:

Ellie McFreaken said...

I am glad to hear that the kids are adjusting I am sure they are going to love it. I am already counting down the days until we come visit.
I am sorry that you had a breakdown but I was glad to hear that you at least had one to my five I've had since you and Stace left me! I checked your blog five times the other day and jake was like why do you keep checking? I said because "I MISS HER!!!"

Stacy and Mike said...

Amen to Angie, Not that I would be "with" you right now but the fact I know you are far away makes me miss you. What a crazy month for you. I keep waiting for you to call me back not wanting to interrupt unpacking or adjusting there. You are in my thoughts a lot. Sounds like the kids are having a blast. Can't wait to see you again this month.

MAstle said...

We miss you, too, all of you. It takes time to get used to not being close and to a new environment. I taught a class once on culture shock at the BYU Intensive English center, and I think the lesson applies no matter how far you go.

People usually go through three phases of culture shock. First, everything is quaint and fun, and life is wonderful.

Second, you start to realize that all the nonverbal cues you're used to, from familiar places to your friends' nuances to the way people speak, is foreign, and you begin to feel out of sorts.

In the third phase, people go one of two directions. They either learn to hate their new environment, or they become comfortable. It's really a choice.

And real acclimation takes about a year. I've learned that's true for a lot of life's changes, from getting married to moving to losing a spouse, even. The first year is often trying. But after that you'll be into to your new normal.

Anonymous said...

I've been waiting for an update. I'm happy to hear you are at least on your computer with perhaps a few boxes unpacked. Miss you already!

Bill Gates II said...

It is so weird to think of you guys gone. Being so far away It doesn't seem like things have changed.
It will get better. Sometimes I still get sad because I miss home so much. But life gets busy and you get into your routine and then you forget that you are sad. Sometimes I check the flights fifty times a day trying to figure out a way to go home.
I am so grateful for leaving though. I have learned to do things that I didn't ever think I would be able to do. We can't wait to see you on Christmas. Good luck with your new adventure.

Mick and Tiff said...

We are sad that you are gone but at the same time I am a bit envious of your adventure. I think it is neat what you guys are doing AS LONG AS YOU COME BACK HERE SOMEDAY!!!!

Mick and Tiff said...

Are those boxes unpacked yet??

Weavers said...

I agree with Dad, except it's taken me 3 1/2 years to realize what has happened instead of one. I can't beleive how fast time flies and how one day you realize how comfortable it is wherever you are.
I haven't had a breakdown yet, I hoping I'm just one of those people who don't have breakdowns or else it's going to be one hell of a show!

Weavers said...

Did I actually say what I thought I said? oops. sorry.