12.31.2007

Garden of the Frozen Gods



One of the main attractions of Colorado Springs is a park named the Garden of the Gods, which is not too far from where Brian works. It reminded me a lot of Southern Utah, with the tall, flat, red rocks, minus the climbing and hiking. We enjoyed walking around the park all bundled up in our warmest clothes (it was only in the low 30s that day). We couldn’t stop Emi from putting her hands in the snow so by the end she was pretty much a frozen popsicle.

Speaking of cold, we also had quite the experience driving through Wyoming on our way to Utah for Christmas. We didn’t even make it half-way to Utah before the roads closed because of a snowstorm, and we were forced to spend the night in Laramie, Wyoming. Thank goodness for Brian’s AAA hotel discount and Jenga! We had a lot of fun playing games in our hotel room, and wished we had our swimsuits so we could have enjoyed the indoor pool. The next morning we got an early start, but not early enough….We only made it about 60 miles to Rawlins when the wind picked up so high that they closed the roads AGAIN. We thought we were going to have to spend the night in Rawlins, and we prepared ourselves by finding a movie theater since it was barely noon and there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in Rawlins. Kali said she did not like Wyoming because there was nothing there except gas stations. That is pretty much true. Anyway, the movie was going to start at 3:45, and we were going to wait by the freeway 'til 3:15 before we decided to check into a hotel and go see “National Treasure.” The freeway opened at 3:00. So we finally made it to Utah about 9 p.m. that night and enjoyed a nice but brief visit for Christmas. The kids enjoyed seeing their grandparents and cousins again and were happy that Santa knew where to leave the toys.

The drive back was a much more pleasant experience. We decided to take I-70 going south and avoid going through Wyoming. Going through Colorado on I-70 is absolutely GORGEOUS. We drove past many ski-resort towns and enjoyed the scenery. We hope to vacation there sometime soon.

We hope you all had a very merry Christmas and we wish you a happy new year!



Jared the Jenga King

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
The park looks a lot like our home "rocks". That's cool. I'm glad you made here safe and back. Love the pics. Tell Jared it doesn't take muscles to play Jenga! :) I called you tonight I need your other number. Happy New Year!

Stacy and Mike said...

ps. the anonymous note is from me.

Christy said...

Crazy weather. Glad you were all safe. We went to Tucson thinking we were going to have a warm hoilday. But the first few days were very cold. Luckily we did get to have one good day in Tombstone with out a jacket. :) Hope you are all settled in.

Ellie McFreaken said...

Jaime..You guys are quite the troopers coming home for Christmas. It was so so good to see you guys. SOunds like reg0.
regardless of the weather you had a nice time.
Hey ask Brian if he has ever done Havasupai Falls?

MAstle said...

Yeah, I-70 is a much better road than I-15 through Wyoming. Wait! I-70 was closed for all night and the next day due to high winds and white-out snow shortly after you went through there.
We loved having you here, anyway, and hope we can see you often (here or there).

Heather said...

I will have to agree that I-70 is a much prettier drive. We have done the drive through Wyoming many a times when we lived in Jackson and it is not pleasant. I hate the roads in Wyoming in the winter. We told Jason's parents were weren't coming back until the summer! You heard that we went off the road driving to Jackson for Christmas. Anyway, I'm sorry we missed you but hopefully we will be visiting you soon in Colorado!

Mick and Tiff said...

I don't know if I would say funny things always happen to me, I think I am just crazy. I find the littlest thing that has happened and think everyone else will think it is as funny as me. I am sure you have lots of great running stories. Do you have a gym membership? What are you doing in Colorado if your treadmill is broken?

Bill Gates II said...

One of my good friends here in Dallas grew up with Brandon Flowers in Nephi. She tells me stories about the first album and where the songs originated from all the time. I LOVE THEM!!!
I am so glad we got to see you guys for a minute. Hopefully we can come and see you this summer! Happy New Year

Weavers said...

We're back, up and running. I'm glad you made it back safe and sound. I can't beleive that you were black listed from buying beds!!hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!
Are you sure Brian wasn't whispering obscenities when you couldn't here him, you gotta watch him.