5.05.2012

The Rattlesnake Whaaaat?

Our friends told us about this rattlesnake roundup that happens once a year in a tiny town about 1.5 hrs NW of here named Okeene. Seeing as we probably won't be in Oklahoma forever, we knew we didn't want to miss this.

What is a rattlesnake roundup, you ask? Well, my dear readers, it is exactly that. People who have lost all of their brain cells due to venom poisoning round up all the rattlesnakes that the farmers and other folk don't want roaming their pastures. Then they throw them in a huge pit and city folk like us pay $3 to see them.






And what do they do with all the rattlesnakes after they are round up, you ask? Well, let me warn you, you may be sorry you asked.

 Collecting the venom.
 "Them Orientals buy all the gallbladders, they use them for arthritis and for a afro-deziak."



And why do they butcher the rattlesnakes, you ask? (Besides to sell parts to the Asians.) Well duh, it's so people who have no sense at all can eat them, of coarse.
Just like Bear Grylls always says, snake doesn't taste very good, but they're full of protein.

It was definitely another adventurous day for us here, and we hope to enjoy everything that this great state has to offer. I think next up is the world cow chip tossing competition :)

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Wowzers, that looks like a real good time! Too funny. :)

Unknown said...

I wouldn't recommend snake to anyone, unless you're really, really hungry.

MAstle said...

I've always wanted to try rattlesnake. I guess I'll have to wait until I'm really, really hungry.