Last night our bishop shared a story with the young women about a man from China he recently met. This man met John Huntsman, former Governor of Utah who is now an ambassador to China, and was very impressed by Gov. Huntsman. This man was especially impressed by the way Huntsman spoke about his family. He decided that he wanted to learn more about the Mormon religion. At the time he was unable to receive a Book of Mormon because of China's strict laws. So this man decided to come to the United States and is now a student at Oklahoma State University. With his very limited knowledge of the English language he was able to find a LDS meetinghouse and walked quite a long ways to the church building. When he finally arrived at the church he ran into our bishop, but they had a difficult time communicating. Luckily for them we happen to have a couple in our ward who speaks Chinese (the husband served a Chinese-speaking mission and the wife happens to be Chinese :)). So with their help this man has been able to meet with the missionaries and is attending the student ward in our stake. He is going to be baptized this Saturday. I got goosebumps hearing this story. I got the same goosebumps when I first heard that President Obama asked Gov. Huntsman to serve as an ambassador to China. One more neat "coincidence" - our bishop just happened to have a Chinese Book of Mormon, which is quite funny for a farmer in Oklahoma to have on his book shelf at home.
I don't know if it has been the same in other states, but here in Oklahoma practically all the radio and television commercials are the "I'm a Mormon" ads. I was so excited when I was driving in the car and heard the voice of one of my old friends from the gym I used to go to. A student in Kali's Spanish class brought up these commercials and I guess they had a conversation about it. (Kali had to tell her class that the name is Joseph Smith, not Jon Smith. :))
4 comments:
Wow, what a cool story! We don't realize how lucky we are sometimes. I'm a little teary now. Thanks for sharing.
That is a great story. That is a ton of determination for Jon to have.
Love it!!!!!! So cool!
OH and I love Mia! I mean I don't know her but now I want to be her friend!
Post a Comment