7.15.2010

The good, the bad, and the eeeewwww

We have learned that living in Oklahoma City you have to take the good with the bad.

The Good: friendly southern atmosphere, the green fields, living in a large city that still feels open, and we LOVE the schools here. Oh, and we can't forget the cheap housing market!

The Bad: severe weather, including, but not limited to: tornadoes, ice storms, and thunderstorms that bring flash floods; heat, and I mean the kind that suffocates you; and the bugs.

During the winter and spring we dealt with the severe weather, and now we are dealing with the heat and BUGS. Earlier in the summer I was walking around a lake with some friends and we saw these monster centipedes that made me want to jump out of my skin. Thankfully they had all been ran over by cars so we didn't run into any living ones, but they were still so so so gross.

Then I went to girl's camp and we had to be careful where we stepped and even what we walked under because the ticks were particularly bad this year. I guess they like to fall out of the trees and land on you. We went through many cans of bug spray and we managed to keep the ticks away.

Now we are dealing with annoying June bugs. They are everywhere. I guess they didn't get the memo that June is over and they're supposed to go away.
We ran into something new (to us) last weekend when we took a drive along a scenic road. We got out to take some pictures and saw some trees covered in what looked like ginormous spider webs. I was imagining Aragog living in the forest of Oklahoma. Or a million tiny spiders like in the movie Arachnophobia. I got sick to my stomach just looking at the webs. Turns out they are just webworms, which are a type of caterpillar. Better than spiders, but still gross.
Our latest bug incident happened last night when something bit Emi on the arm (her broken arm, no less). Her poor little arm is very swollen and painful. We are watching it but we're hoping that some benadryl and hydrocortisone will help. We stripped all the beds and looked in every corner, but we didn't encounter any creatures of the bug variety yet. I sure hope I can fall asleep tonight.
It's hard to tell how swollen it is since her arm is so tiny, but see that big bump on the top of her arm and how tight her cast is? Good thing she's getting that thing off tomorrow!

5 comments:

MAstle said...

Poor Emi. Her arm looks awful. Here's a list of biting and stinging insects in Oklahoma that I got off someone's blog (there are probably more insects):
scorpions, fire ants, sweat bees, deer flies, yellow jackets, brown recluse (hobo) spiders, black widow spiders, American dog ticks, honey bees, mosquitos, wheel bugs, saddleback caterpillars, io moth caterpillars, fleas, gnats, chiggers, skeets, chigger mites. Centipedes aren't even on this list, but they do bite, and it's very painful.

Unknown said...

I'm starting to get used to always having a mosquito bite or two on my legs or arms . . . just doesn't seem to be a way around it.

Anonymous said...

Remind me to NEVER come to Oklahoma...I could handle the heat but the bugs are too much for me.

Christy said...

poor Emi. I remember June bugs. I think their calenders are off because they always seem to come out in July. Never fails first sight of a June bug is July 4th weekend. Maybe we should rename them to July bugs. :) Hope Emi's arm is doing better.

Bill Gates II said...

My sister was just reminding me today of one of her visits to Texas and the rash she got while she was there. Gotta love it. It sure is different and boy do I miss it:)I hope Emi feels better soon.