
“There is no way I am ever going to do a marathon!” Those were the first words out of my mouth to my husband as I crossed the finish line of my very first half marathon in Moab. Never in a million years did I think I would ever want to run a marathon. I mean, why would anybody say “I want to put my body through 26.2 miles of pain and agony.” But as it happens with most runners, I developed what I consider a mental illness and for some completely irrational reason I decided I HAD to run a marathon just so I could say that I had done one. Maybe I just wanted the bragging rights.
It was then that I turned to my friends for help. Luckily for me, I live in a wonderful neighborhood full of runners with my same mental illness. I knew that I would not be able to train for a marathon alone – and whenever I needed to go for a run, there was always someone willing to hit the road with me. So my friends and I spent countless hours on the road training for the Top of Utah Marathon. A lot of marathoners complain about the training aspect of marathons. But as it turned out, the hours I spent training was so fun! Don’t get me wrong, it wasn't ALL fun, we had our share of challenges. Like the time we got caught in a thunderstorm and had to turn back, and the time my friend and I were both recovering from being sick and our bodies just couldn’t do it, and the time my friend thought she saw a skunk which turned out to be a rock, jumped behind me as she pushed me towards the “skunk”, all the while cursing and screaming. Is it a coincidence that all of that happened with you, Nita???? But all the pain was worth it. I now consider my running partners some of my very best friends.
When a 15 mile run is staring you in the face and you know you will be running side-by-side these women for the next 2 or 3 hours, you will pull out the most entertaining stories you have just to pass the time – the longer the story, the better. How many times did we start a story by saying “Now remember ladies, what’s said on the trail stays on the trail.” Like that doesn’t go without saying. We quickly learned that no topic was off-limits. When I run alone, I have to play a mental game with myself just to keep myself going. But my friends are so entertaining that time seemed to fly by and I hardly even noticed the blisters forming on my feet.
For me, the highlight of running a marathon was not crossing the finish line, although I consider that one of my hugest accomplishments. The highlight for me was the countless hours I spent training with my friends. Years from now, when I’m home alone doing laundry or vacuuming or being completely lost in thought doing whatever, I don’t think it will be the memory of crossing that finish line that will bring a smile to my face. It will be the memory of being sacrificed to a rock-skunk that will make me laugh out loud. And for that, I now say I hope I get to run many more marathons.
3 comments:
I am sad to say it but I am a jealous friend right now. I wish that I was one of those friends with you training for a marathon. As if I don't have enough funny stories of you and I . . . they just seem so long ago and I need to update and get new ones. Lucky Nita! and others who ran with you. It's a shame what is said on the trail stays on the trail because we could swap some funny stories.
Why doesn't Jamie talk more about her hot husband?
Is there anything you can't do? You still amaze me! I've learned that good friends are irreplaceable. Good luck with the move! Say HI to your hot husband.
Wendy
Post a Comment