9.05.2007

Winds of Change


Have any of you learned the secret to staying "comfortable" in life? If so, you must pass it on. Just when you think "I feel like I’ve really got the hang of this, I’m getting pretty good at_______." (insert here - making friends, my calling in church, being a mom, etc.) that's when you know you're in trouble!

It was a typical day: the kids were outside playing and I was sitting in my lazy-boy sipping my diet Pepsi enjoying the few minutes of peace and quiet I am granted every day. Suddenly I had a twilight zone moment - I felt like I was in an alternate universe. I can't exactly explain it, but I had a feeling that this was no longer my life or my home, and I got a whiff of the "winds of change." About 3:30 Brian called to tell me he had been laid off of work. I didn't believe him at first. I just kept saying "no you didn't, you're kidding." But he wasn't!

Although we were pretty panicked that first week, we knew that everything would work out just fine. It has been about two months since then and Brian just started working this week. Now that that is behind us, we can look back and see the many tremendous blessings we received because of this change in our lives. The biggest blessing is that Brian was able to spend so much time with the kids this summer. Let me use a little analogy here: you see, my neighbor has these two ducks. They are inseparable. These ducks waddle around the house all day, never apart from each other. I told Brian that he and Emi reminded me of these two ducks. Emi just waddles behind Brian all day, never wanting to leave her daddy!

Also, if Brian had not been home this summer, Caleb never would have learned to ride a bike. He can be pretty timid at times and it took him MANY trips to the church parking lot to build up enough courage to ride a bike. He finally started riding his bike on the first day of school, not a moment too soon. Now that kid is a maniac on that thing! I am always praying for some of that timidness to come back!

So now we are off to Colorado. I must say goodbye to my comfortable life. Although it will not be easy to leave everything that I love here, we are very excited for this new adventure that awaits us!

1 comment:

Stacy and Mike said...

I am crying right now. I am going to miss you so much. Blogging will be our alternate way of communicating our thoughts about life. I hope those winds take you to wonderful places but I hope the wind changes back someday so we can live closer to one another. I need my friend Jamie around. Maybe I'll have to wait until our kids our gone and husbands are buried and you can't reach the top cupboards so we move in together.
Until then our phone bills are going to be ridiculous!