5.13.2013

The "real" Kali

Ok so I will probably have some tears as I type this.

Brian has had the option of working from home for a couple of years now, and we have been planning our move back to Utah ever since. Probably the biggest reason we have waited until now to move back was so that Kali could finish middle school here. I really can't put into words how grateful I am for the experiences our kids have had living here in the Midwest, in what is considered the buckle of the "Bible Belt." We just really love the school district here and all of the opportunities it has offered our kids, and we didn't want to rock the boat, so to speak.

Kali made some friends in the 5th grade right after moving here and they have remained the closest of friends ever since. These girls are kind, sweet, silly, good, uplifting, fun, boy crazy, and just plain amazing. And since I had the opportunity to work with the orchestra students at the middle school for the past two years, I can tell you that the majority of kids at the school are just as great. So it's no surprise that Kali is having the hardest time out of everybody to be leaving.

Last Saturday an amazing mom of Kali's twin friends planned a surprise going-away party at a cute yogurt shop. So sweet. They worked for weeks putting together a memory book for Kali and gave it to her there. Again, so sweet. Thank goodness for technology that will help them to stay in touch!

This picture was taken in the 5th grade. They look so little!




Tonight was Golden Summit night. (Don't worry, I didn't know what that was either.) For this night, the teachers get together and choose a few students who they feel exemplified what Summit Middle School is about, focusing on the three R's: Respect, Responsibility, and Relationships. Kali was chosen as one of the recipients. I thought it was going to be another boring awards ceremony, but it was actually great to hear the teachers talk about each student and what made each one of them special. This is what one of Kali's teachers said about her. I just have to say, he really learned who the real Kali is!






It was a great way to wrap up Kali's middle school years! I think I will miss Kali's school as much as she will.

1 comment:

MAstle said...

I'm also glad your kids had a chance to live in different parts of the country and make great friends. But we're also really happy you're back in Utah. I will watch out for Kali's quiet mischievous side.